Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:30 am

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Post subject: Re: Wireless Adapter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:30 pm 

Hi stane,

Yes, device has worked via ethernet, as I mentioned in my post, "I previously had the X10 connected by ISDN through a BT WiFi extender and that worked, but I've moved the X10 to another room" - the WiFi extender (which has an ISDN socket) is for my TV so I can't move it.

BTWiFi-with-FON is the openzone created by my router, so, yes, my router, AND yes, openzone stuff. I just wondered if there's some trickery needed at the router or the X10 - because the X10 with dongle will connect to the unsecured FON openzone (but not receive internet radio) but will not connect to the secured HomeHub network.

What I'm looking for is what a previous poster, cageyr, called "a £6 RTL8191SU dongle from the UK on ebay" that works - the one I got does not. Your link points to the Cocktail dongle on the Cocktail website for £34 (LOL - even a refurbed wi-fi repeater with an ISDN socket is cheaper than that).

So, anyone know of a good £6 dongle, or an X10 hack to connect to my Hub?

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:53 pm 

You can get many dongles but would those ebay ones be the correct chip for the device?
Make sure you buy 2 when shopping for cheaper dongles.
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:25 am 

Well, exactly, as tech1a said "You purchase the compatible one or use something with the same chipset - Realtek RTL81XXSU Chipset. Many media devices have their own or other devices are compatible with a dongle with a chip-type." And as I said in my post, I bought a Lumens AW-NU120 which has the RTL8191SU chipset, and it doesn't work in the X10.

So does anyone have any new ideas please?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:50 am 

Not all will work; you need the correct type cost about £25-£30, there are about 3 type within the chip number.
I don't use wifi dongles anymore; i use the pro x100 - much better on a wired or with PLA types connection.
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:46 pm 

Well I guess the previous post that said Realtek RTL81XXSU Chipset was just bad data. I've given up on getting a wifi dongle that works, so I bought a wifi extender from my local supermarket for £24.95 and that works fine so that's that.