Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:10 pm

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Forum rules

No duplicates, else deletion!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:21 am 

Hi all.

New auto update on the X30 occurred the other night (Thursday I think). No news or info here yet.

Unsure of any changes apart from an extremely annoying prompt when you attempt to turn the kit off, asking if you're sure!!! Then it checks the database, before sometimes turning off (if its in HDMI Out mode, as mine usually is, it simply returns to normal mode, not switched off, so then have to repeat the process).

I've not checked the set up menu's yet to see its an option you can turn off.

Think maybe another streaming service appeared too, but that may have been there before.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:10 pm 

spotify connect support {play on mobile & output on cocktail audio}
aiff ripping
nas as music db
other improvements
other bug fixes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:10 pm 

There's a setting to switch to check the DB on power on or off, so switched it to 'on'. Noticed the aiff & nas stuff, no real deal for me, but might be for someone. Still LOVE it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:31 pm 

True :)
Nothing much.
Would have been better for them to focus on improving the backup and db structure - the rest are just gimmicks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:07 pm 

Absolutely!!!!

My last back up took about 5 or 6 days, clearly not sequential!!!! I'm well overdue for another, with hundreds of albums added since, but can't wait that long (even though I have an X10 upstairs ;) )

Or how about some 'simpler' routines to edit tracks when ripped from vinyl? I ripped a 4 track vinyl live EP the other day (only available in that format on Record Store Day) and it took loads of messing before I was happy with the result. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:04 pm 

@tea4one, well said.
Colour add-ons & simple tweaks are not going to make the box any better ;) .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:51 pm 

:D

stane wrote:
@tea4one, well said.
Colour add-ons & simple tweaks are not going to make the box any better ;) .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:56 pm 

tech1a wrote:
True :)
Nothing much.
Would have been better for them to focus on improving the backup and db structure - the rest are just gimmicks.

Hi - just for info:

I have a feeling they have updated something regarding back up. My X30 normally takes about 5 or 6 days to back up to an external USB HDD (about 1.4Tb worth of data last time I did one). I decided this week to install a new 3Tb HDD, so had to back up the X30 first, about 1.7 Tb. I was going away for the weekend, so let it roll about midnight on Thursday - it was done when I got home on Sunday lunch - so two and a half days max, maybe a lot less.

Installed the new 3Tb drive yesterday, formatted to Linux and let it roll to restore from the external back up at 4pm - its about half way thru one day later. I estimate it will have completed by 8pm tomorrow.

That's somewhere between a third and half as quick as before! :o

I'll post any problems I incur!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:14 pm 

It just copies the files, the database structure isn't complex their 'DB' is not really well designed (IMHO).
However it works for the display (LCD) & the purpose...to sync th web-gui etc.
Not as free as other systems i have used.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:36 pm 

I know, it's merely folders and tag/art files for each track, but it used to take 5+ days every time I did a back up (so stopped bothering - dangerous!!!!). A lot of folk feel the same.

Its impressive how it uses the data tho, eg the web-based GUI and easy to use functions are still a joy. I didn't think I'd bother using it via the 55" telly, but I do all the time now. And remember having to add art by "hand"??? I used to unhide the folders via the network and drop the art into the folders, taking the risk of c**king it up :-)

Even to a new HDD, when I initially "restored" about 1.3Tb of data from the X10's back up to the X30 when I first bought it about two years ago, it took about 5 days. The "back up" was supposed to just back up any changed data, but it clearly just copied the entire database to file afresh.

It seems over twice as quick now, and the only thing that's changed is the recent X30 firmware (its the same extremal HDD I've used since getting the X10 donkey's years ago from Audio Sanctum ;) )

Happy to back up now tho! Although I now effectively have 4 identical HDDs :-)