Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:10 pm

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Post subject: spdif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:56 pm 

hi, i am using a dac with my cocktail x10 whats the best spdif setting to use with the dac thank you

Post subject: Re: spdif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:20 pm 

Not very clear, if you are by passing the internal DAC and spdif would be fine eg toslink, coaxial...if the Dac can do USB that would be even better as its asynchronous. Any digital port is fine.
Are you sending to an AMP or is the DAC an AMP too?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:27 am 

hi i a using the coctail x10 connected to a dacmagic using the toslink, then connecting the dac to a rotel amplifier using the phono socket hope this helps tony

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:26 pm 

I would connect via a digital port to the amplifier - coxial or toslink/spidf.
(Unless the amp lacks digital port then phono is fine).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:49 am 

stiff-records wrote:
hi i a using the coctail x10 connected to a dacmagic using the toslink, then connecting the dac to a rotel amplifier using the phono socket hope this helps tony

Do you have any other available inputs on that amplifier? Thing is that the phono stages have RIAA equalization built into them to balance out the pre-emphasis put into the phonograph recording process. Basically, higher frequencies are boosted during recording and then the preamp does the reverse so net is flat frequency response but the hiss and crackle from playing back the album is reduced. What you're likely getting in effect is boosted bass and reduced midrange and even more reduced highs. You're talking a significant differential between lows and highs. Check it out at this wiki.

Any other input, whether it's flagged for tape, aux, or even tuner will be fine. It's only the phono stage that has the equalization.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:24 pm 

Hi, probably a bit late now BUT I only just read this thread.

Seems to me the OP was meaning he was going TOSlink to the DACmagic then using a phono cable (plug) input to the amp from the DACmagic and NOT the actual RIAA phono input?

I assume he was actually asking what bit-rate to set for the SP/DIF output from the X10 - IF this is the case I think you will find there is a setting which says Passthrough - which actually bypasses the DAC in the X10 - obviously this is what you need as you are using an external DAC - same as me. I have tested various settings and this is the one that gives the best sound quality as far as I am aware.