Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:00 pm

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Post subject: clicking noise
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:42 pm 

hi, when i connect my cocktail x10 to a dac i get a clicking noise just before it plays the next track any ideas anyone
thank you

Post subject: Re: clicking noise
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:53 am 

I had the same issue.

Having experimented with four different DACs, it seems to vary. I suspect it's to do with how the data feed is buffered (or not?) and, if buffered, is it the X10 electronics or is it the external DAC's electronics?

The current DAC I use (see signature area for info) occasionally pops. That is a vast improvement on a so-called "proper" DAC costing £175. I won't name it because the brand owner of that DAC said he hadn't previously encountered this issue and seemed genuinely surprised [edited - memory now recalls more accurately what was said].

Perhaps Admin can shed some light on the X10 / X30 buffering provisions when using the optical out?

Last edited by MusicBod on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:03 am 

Sounds like the same problem I had when connected to a Teac A-H01 Amplifier/DAC.
http://www.cocktailaudio.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1022&start=10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:55 pm 

Bertie Bacon wrote:
Sounds like the same problem I had when connected to a Teac A-H01 Amplifier/DAC.
http://www.cocktailaudio.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1022&start=10

Hmmm. That's just a bit too much of a coincidence. It's so frustrating. The X10 could be absolutely fantastic instead of being "a great concept but prone to glitches". Perhaps I expect too much?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:59 pm 

thank you i am using a beresford bushmaster dac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:40 pm 

It is based on how the DAC buffers the music/data, that is why there are sync & async versions.
I would also check the settings on the feed or passthru or just use another port.
If X10 supported USB OUT to DAC then all these old time Dac costing £10,000-£50,000 would be useless.
You can now get a £1 DAC from China to do what a £10K Dac could do & more.
Play around with the DAC settings, it could be grappling with the OUT from the Cocktail Device could also be the Khz/bit rate (try & balance the feed).
Or Just reinstall the FW again to see if that could help - (i remember reading an old post by Andy Gescher about this...(deleted i think))

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:27 pm 

stiff-records wrote:
thank you i am using a beresford bushmaster dac

That is interesting - I also had the click with the Bushmaster DAC (Mk II). I had intended to try the Caiman Mk II instead but circumstances mean that is on the back burner.

I also tried a Musical Fidelity V90 and, woo hoo, no click! However, I found the V90 to be such a disappointment when it came to sound reproduction, it was returned to the seller.

The fact that the clicking issue differs from DAC to DAC (cheap and otherwise) is what leads to the suggestion that buffering is at issue.

NB: My earlier post has been edited in the interests of fairness - my recollection has improved since the first posting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:11 pm 

Is there much to be gained by inserting a DAC into one's system? The X10 'as is' along with my amp and speakers gives great sound...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:52 pm 

dortmunder wrote:
Is there much to be gained by inserting a DAC into one's system? The X10 'as is' along with my amp and speakers gives great sound...
Hey dortmunder, I can assure you that a decent DAC will definitely improve the sound quality from the X10.

If you are thinking of trying a separate DAC then I would suggest borrowing a few from your local Hi-Fi dealer. Preferably at a range of different price points,
from cheep and cheerful to downright expensive. Even though you are probably not going to buy a very expensive DAC. It should give you a benchmark to get
close to in terms of sound quality, but at a more realistic price.

Instead of buying a DAC to add to your existing system you should also try one of the many network streaming players/amplifiers.
These normally have an optical input which you can use for the X10, and the ones that I have heard sound very good indeed.
This could give you better sound quality than a separate DAC and your existing amplifier, at around the same price.
It's an option that anyone who is happy with their current Hi-Fi wouldn't normally consider, but it could easily be a great value upgrade for the whole system
and not just the X10.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:22 am 

Bertie Bacon wrote:
<...snip...>

Instead of buying a DAC to add to your existing system you should also try one of the many network streaming players/amplifiers.
These normally have an optical input which you can use for the X10, and the ones that I have heard sound very good indeed.
This could give you better sound quality than a separate DAC and your existing amplifier, at around the same price.
It's an option that anyone who is happy with their current Hi-Fi wouldn't normally consider, but it could easily be a great value upgrade for the whole system
and not just the X10.

On the back of an extensive demo using the X10 as the source, I have just purchased a Marantz PM6005 integrated amplifier (@ £279) which has two digital inputs (1x optical + 1x coax**), thus usurping the cheap but not bad WINGPOON DAC which had been in use as a stopgap. Other amps with digital inputs include Rotel and Onkyo.

I don't know whether the sound is "better" through an external DAC and/or amp, but I liked the output with the X10 / Marantz combination when hooked up via the optical connection. Hopefully, it won't sound completely different when in-situ at home (I'll repost if anyone is interested).

** If you have two optical sources or two coax sources, there are plenty of cheap converters (£10 - £20) to get around the 1x optical / 1x coax input limit on the Marantz.