Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:30 am

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Forum rules

This section is for the users' to post tips (features) on using the X10 not questions like: "How do I add album cover ART?" or "How do I connect to my friend's wifi at the North Pole?" :? - when that could be found in the online manual or on many posts by users.
Thank You

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:08 am 

When I started with X10 I was informed that it was not possible to have multiple disc albums but they could be played in sequence by creating a virtual playlist and so recorded all mine as CD1 and CD2 etc. However, as my collection is classical and I have numerous such albums, I found this frustrating and eventually hit on a way to combine them. (Use of a keyboard is recommended.)

1 - Remove CD1 from the first disc and ensure that it has a simple name.
2 - Ensure that the track titles are in the correct order.
3 - Using Tag Edit, number the tracks sequentially 01, 02, 03 etc.
4 - Delete CD2 from the DB.
5 - Rip CD2 and change the name of the Album to exactly match that of the first disc. This is critical.
6 - When ripping starts X10 asks if I wish to merge the albums - accept.
7 - When ripping is complete, select the album and view the tracks. From the menu select Tag Edit and go through the tedious task of renumbering the new tracks sequentially to folow on from where the first disc ended.
8 - Sort the tracks A-Z and you have a complete Album.

If the Album has not yet been recorded on the X10 then this process is best carried out by ripping on a PC and merely copying the second and subsequent discs on to the first. The complete album can then be imported to the DB. I use a freeware program 'Fairstars CD Ripper' which extracts metadata from FreeDB rips the CD and converts the codec all in one go.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:36 am 

You should just to be able to rename CD2 to "exactly" the same name as the first one and the X10 should merge the two CDs into the one album (it certainly works for me that way on the X130).

I would suggest renumbering the tracks on CD2 first before doing the CD2 rename to force the merge.

=========================================================

When I ripped my classical collection I decided that I didn't want to have works broken up into sub-sections (e.g. movements of a symphony) as I didn't want the shuffle playing parts of a complete work (the Classic FM approach) so I used a PC ripper, I use the free CDex, to rip each complete work as its own single WAV file to import into the X30.

Peter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:55 pm 

Peter,
Interesting. I have contacted two of the UK agents and Novatron themselves and they all said that the only way to play such albums was to create a virtual playlist. Which is why I experimented for another method. Anyway, I have checked out you suggestion on the X10 and it works as you say. However, if you wish the tracks to be played in the correct order you have to renumber CD1 as well as 2 and 3.

I don't know if it happens on the X30 as well but when I start renumbering a CD X10 creates another album with the same name and moves the renumbered track to this album. Only creates a problem if you lose track of where you are in your renumbering because when all tracks are numbered the original album is deleted. Then you can use the Help system to ensure that you rename the new CD's and the merge is completed - apart from another final check on the sorting.

Why wasn't this merging procedure published in the Manual? That little booklet is in desperate need of a rewrite.

Thanks for you reply. Shortens the process slightly as there is no need to rip the CD again but overall we are on the same track.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:56 pm 

Hi

FOR INFORMATION

I also "discovered" Peters way of merging ...whereby I cut and paste the album title from one of the albums into the other ...usually I keep CD1 (Do this in album view) this creates a long CD1 album still entitled CD1 with duplicate numbers...ie two track 1 and two track 2 etc. As far as I am aware its only since 1760 that you can change track numbers. note also if you decide to rename the new long album by removing the CD1 from the title you will lose the album art....although you will be able to add it manually.

A long way round saying that I agree with Peter that we need the manual updated

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:03 pm 

I never tried this until after I had upgraded so I cannot confirm your opinion as to the ability to renumber being only with 1760. I hope you are wrong though because I am looking at re-installing older firmware as since upgrading my "incremental" backups are taking 5½ to 6 hours with only 600 albums, all stored as .flac.
When you talk about doing this in 'album view' does this mean you working through the web-gui? I have done all my merging direly using a keyboard and the menu options.

As far as losing album art is concerned this doesn't bother me at all since I do not use any art.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:32 pm 

KenWA
I edit via the webgui on my PC and tablet but mostly on my
PC as it has a keyboard etc...im pretty sure about renumbering but perhaps other can confirm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:15 am 

For playing just use virtual playlist...(from playing mode & save as playlist).
You might not want to permanently merge the albums.

For merging use the web-gui or rename album name & edit track numbers via web-gui...eg. 1- 50 (cd1, cd2)
For PC, edit with a free program like EAC/Mp3tag & CD1, CD2 & CD3....
There are many ways around this ... :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:16 pm 

themaninblack wrote:
... note also if you decide to rename the new long album by removing the CD1 from the title you will lose the album art....although you will be able to add it manually.

You don't lose the album art with the rename on the X30 - are you sure that happens on the X10?

themaninblack wrote:
A long way round saying that I agree with Peter that we need the manual updated

Actually it was Ken that made that comment - but I thoroughly agree with you both here.

You can't really expect the manufacturers to keep sending out updated paper copies - but it's not unreasonable to expect an on-line version which can be kept up to date with the latest releases.

Peter.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:15 pm 

Hi Peter / Ken...sorry about getting your postings mixed up...anyway i am pretty sure that my album art was removed by merging and changing the title...I kind of figured that the art was tied in to the meta data and when you changed the meta data the connection was lost so the X10 broke the link...probably talking rubbish here...but I manually added it from google...not really a big problem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:40 pm 

Hi all

I merged all my double/treble albums on the X30 following the f/w update in December just using the GUI and then renaming the multiple discs to one title. This is now available on the X10 following the last f/w update.

I just rip the CDs as normal, then sequentially renumber the tracks on CD2, CD3, CD4 etc via the GUI. Then rename the discs on the X30/X10. No art is lost. In fact, if you have different art for each disc initially, it stays that way when you play back the new 'long' album - so you can have art to depict each different disc within the new title (handy on box sets). Great for those triple live albums!