Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:16 pm

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Forum rules

Please don't create ANOTHER topic of a question that already exists look for an akin posts/forum.
For example 'Coping music' will be best posted under 'Exporting/Importing Forum'.
Any duplicate posts will be deleted without a reply.
This will make it easier for other users' to find solutions to their queries.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:33 pm 

Hello - I am trying to EDIT album titles, or artist names, or other details using the Web Interface on my MAC PC. Each time I finish EDITING I click on SAVE at the bottom of the Editing Window, the circle symbol spins ........ and it doesn't actually SAVE. Additionally, there are no Orange Buttons visible. My Web Interface appears to be just a visual database and I can't change anything in it - that can't be right! Can anyone help with this please? Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:20 pm 

All sorted out with assistance from the cocktail audio x10 email helpline, thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:57 am 

Please post the solution so that others can benefit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:33 pm 

Advice from Cocktail Audio Support UK which I followed was: 1: try a different browser; 2: Undertake the Recovery Procedure (1604 Notes). I did both of these, PLUS turned both the X10 and the PC off. Turned them on again the next day and it all worked OK. Having said this, both the RIP facility and the EDITING facility ceased working again yesterday. I tried 1 and 2 again and then went to bed! Today it is all working OK again. Conclusion: the X10 is erratic and can't be relied upon. I had originally intended to rip all my 1000 or so CDs, back them up on a separate DB and then dispose of all the CDs. It seems I will have to keep the CDs indefinitely just in case the X10 fails. I love the X10 when it works and don't when it doesn't!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:09 pm 

Joss wrote:
I had originally intended to rip all my 1000 or so CDs, back them up on a separate DB and then dispose of all the CDs. It seems I will have to keep the CDs indefinitely just in case the X10 fails
If your X10 fails then you still have the ripped files on the HDD, and hopefully you will have a backup on an external drive as well.
As you can use those files, on whatever player you replace the X10 with. The CD's are not really needed, although legally you are not allowed to dispose of them without deleting all of the ripped files.
The only problem being the way that the X10 arranges the files and folders for the DB, by not having artist folders, adding number prefixes to filenames and meddling with the id tags. However all of that can be rearranged back to a more standardised format using Mp3tag etc.

I would recommend ripping in FLAC as it is lossless and avoid ripping in WAV on the X10. As it does not embed the metadata into the WAV file, but adds a separate .id3 file for every track to hold the metadata. So If your X10 does fail, then You would have to tag all of the WAV files again before using them on another device, as they do not contain any metadata.

As you have around 1000 CD's to rip, then I would rip them on a PC using a good programe like dBpoweramp and then import the files to the X10.
This may be an extra step but as the quality of the metadata is so much better than on the X10 it actually saves a great deal of time and effort. Plus you have the ripped files stored on your PC in a more standardised structure, that the X10's DB has not faffed with by adding prefixes and other gubbins.

I also had a lot of issues with the web interface not saving and other random crashes. The X10 is only used as a player now, and the less you do with it the better it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:03 am 

Thank you Bertie Bacon, your comments re possible failure sounds re-assuring. I haven't backed up yet, thats my next task to struggle with!

I have been ripping all in FLAC as I understand that is 'lossless'. Not sure I would know how to rip them in FLAC using the PC ! And I know nothing about the metadata and mp3tag etc. Having got this far with learning how to use the X10 etc I shall keep going, accepting that occasionally I have to turn everything off and on again.

At the end of the day, from reading all the various advice threads in this Forum, it does seem that the Cocktail X10 is definately NOT designed for the ordinary person, one needs a lot of computer knowledge too, which I don't have, but I muddle along. I expect younger people would have the knowledge, but then young people don't collect CDs!!