Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:16 pm

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Post subject: Problems in editing
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:08 pm 

Sometimes when putting in cover art everything just freezes.
Sometimes only half a cover appears to copy.
Sometimes I get messages like:
Warning: move_uploaded_file(/tmp/.http/htdocs/.DB/[0119] Glière /net) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /mnt/hdd1/.http/htdocs/nov/nov_DBTool/inc/inc.upload.php on line 57.
What's this?
Occasionally Cocktail decides to put tracks on separately Ie in a piece of 10 movements 3-10 appear together but 1 and 2 come up as a different CD. How can i use MERGE to put them back as one item?
Today, while just browsing setup the whole machine and PC DB just froze completely.I had to turn off power to get back to normal.is this typical?
Sorry for all the problems -this is just starting out on my long journey of transfer of 5,000 classical CDs

Post subject: Re: Problems in editing
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

The issue is that you are doing so many things without understanding the method.
You left posts that were replied by the users & I at the links below but you never responded:
The X10 could be processing an art cover during embedding, thus you need to check the msg on the screen etc...
See firmware notes section : 14-3-3) Adding album cover art at Web-Interface mode:
http://cocktailaudio.co.uk/firmware/X10 ... _R1665.pdf

Your upload file error issue is here (is fixed & will be appended on the next FW update):
Addressed here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=822&p=5163#p5163

Your other posts:

Check link: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=864&p=5290#p5289

Check link: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=868

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:38 pm 

Thanks for your help.
1. I did reply to 2 of the posts to thank them, so I do appreciate members' help and find the forum essential.
2.The explanations coming from Administator are not always clear - is English your first language?
E.g>one of your bits of advice:Still a lot of users' are grappling with tag issues (metadata), i am quite sure i have mentioned it on a post somewhere about keeping album/artist/........consistent.
Well, since a lot of you edit via the web-interface - try using the empty field to edit ones.
For example to add an artist/genre/year........ "Rolando Villazón", "Opera", "2011"........ just add it ones.
I think here you mean ONCE not ONES. Am I right? i am not trying to be racist or nasty -just asking out of interest.
The "&" point makes sense.
I am still trying to get to grips with TAGS.
I don't think I am "thick" -do have an honours degree -but it is a fairly stiff climb to understand all the principles involved.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks BA,
Yep :) i meant once not ones, sometimes when one is posting on a forum it is always done in a haste & shorthands.
As long as you get the gist it is fine.
The guide(s) were written by our korean team (different vernacular), English is my 1st lang.
We do edit most of the release notes for our UK users'.
Technical text doesn't have to be grammatically accurate especially when translating ....
There is nothing racist about pointing out an error :D ,it is a forum, you can post your own remark (if you like) as long as it is related to the device.

Ah, as for grappling with metadata it depends on ones awareness with musical formats and stds.
i'm afraid most senior users still don’t get it, perhaps we should just stick to a simpler name or other….all these gizmos.

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:47 pm 

Thank you Admin, that info is very useful.
Been using it ever since i read it.
Especially with compilations & CD that have no or incorrect metadata.
Very happy with this forum :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:43 pm 

Dear Mr.Stane, please explain how you do your compilations, and what is metadata? Heard of it before but never had to deal with it.
in one of the "Explanations" from Admin - it ends up with the DB with red arrows going down.This seems to be a COPY/PASTE THAT CAN DO A LOT OF TRACKS AT ONCE. iS THIS RIGHT? hOW DOES ONE use it? i am spending hours re-editing every track of every piece of every CD -taking hours -I want o have a system which shows:
ALBUM for my main title eg Symphony No.3
TITLE for a sub title eg. 2nd mt. Adagio or title of song,etc
ARTIST for composer eg Beethoven
GENRE for performers EG orch, conductor.
DB takes no account of classical music at all!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:34 pm 

Actually the DB does have a lot of classical music.
I have even sub categorised my collection too within the jazz & classical genre.
You can even search the db directly to check the metadata.
Also many users submit metadata from many countries, which makes it even more exciting.
I could have Haydn’s oratorio (The Creation (German: Die Schöpfung)) in German or in English – depending on the metadata available.
Just like the information kindly presented by Admin:
(Not all might be relevant to a user it depends on what is needed)

Eg: (You need to follow the steps Admin as provided or use the image)

Title: Movements….
Artist: Giovanni Antonini, BPO…
Album: Beethoven Symphony No.3 Eroica
Yr: 2009
Genre: Classical

I don't see how the artist could be the composer when you could add it to the album.
Use the example above, it will make it eaiser to search albums etc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:41 pm 

Thanks for replying -very new to this business.
If I wanted to do the edit BEFORE ripping is there any way the Cocktail screen can be reproduced on PC screen in DB? I find the remote very fiddly for doing names,etc. I am not a habitual text sender, so the letters are awkward for me - 77 tomorrow, so I'm hanging in by a thread on this Technical wizardry. What is metadata? Will it bite?
incidentally hoping to move to Christian community nr. Winchester so about 5000 CDs have to go on the 2Tb cocktail and then be given away -along with 3000 books and sundry music scores. Ah well. Brian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:56 pm 

Well since you are grappling with metadata, i will use a simple analogy.
Metadata is the information about a CD & it is unique to every cd.
Usually every cd has a unique number/ID which identifies the metadata.
A particular cd can be identified by the freedb system using the id of the cd (which will then retrieve the data, hence metadata).
The metadata of every cd could easily be changed or have multiple entries.
If you do not want to use the remote, just plug a USB keyboard or wireless keyboard into the X10 & edit/change the METADATA before you rip.
Remember just as Admin mentioned “... re-entering names can be a bit mundane and could cause inconsistency/duplicate details.”

If you follow the image / text on the image.
CD play/rip->Menu->rip format->check data (metadata)->Art->OK

Actually this video will help eventhough it's an old firmware (from 1:13 mins onwards):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFJ0cXyj ... uFZ09tgLkw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:52 am 

BrianAstell wrote:
If I wanted to do the edit BEFORE ripping is there any way the Cocktail screen can be reproduced on PC screen in DB? I find the remote very fiddly for doing names,etc.

I don't think so, no. Another alternative is to plug your PC keyboard directly into the X10 (unless you have quite an old keyboard, with a plug on the end that looks like a small DIN plug -- circular metal ring with pins inside).

BrianAstell wrote:
What is metadata? Will it bite?

As freemartial says, when people say "metadata" they mean information about the CD (as distinct from the music on the CD itself). So CD metadata includes information like titles, artists, composers, year of publication and so on. It's all the stuff that the X10 calls "tags".

And happy birthday, by the way: hope I can follow your example and still be willing to get to grips with new technology when I reach my seventies!