Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:56 pm

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 pm 

Hi. Some years ago I decided to sell all my old vinyl. I took the decision to record everything across onto MiniDiscs.
As we all know, that was the wrong decision :oops:
I have a Sharp SD-NX10H audio system which is working ok but I'm worried that if it packs up then I won't be able to listen to the MiniDiscs.
This is the spec -

What further complicates things is that I spent hours and hours typing in data for each track into the Table Of Contents on each one.

So any ideas/suggestions as to how I might copy my MiniDiscs and the TOCs onto an X10?

The Sharp unit records from radio and CD onto MiniDisc but not from MiniDisc.

I wish I'd kept the vinyl now :mrgreen:

Attachments:
SharpsSD-NX10H.jpg
SharpsSD-NX10H.jpg [ 63.37 KiB | Viewed 13981 times ]
Sharp2.jpg
Sharp2.jpg [ 65.31 KiB | Viewed 13981 times ]
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:16 pm 

You might be able to connect the minidisc to your computer or do a direct stream?
There ought too be a way around this.... :)
(Sorry not sure about mimidiscs)

"Since Minidisc is a digital format, isn't there a Minidisc drive that can be connected to a computer for direct transfers of audio between PC and MD?

For transfers from the PC to Minidisc, Sony has introduced NetMD, a feature that allows high speed downloading of compressed audio over USB. But it is a one way trip, once downloaded the audio data on Minidisc is no longer accessible from the PC as data, it can only be "accessed" by playing it back as music.

As for direct transfers from Minidisc to PC, such a capability would be great! (And a petition was sent to Sony asking them to add it.) Unfortunately Minidisc was designed with a so-called "audio/data firewall" that prevents the ATRAC audio data on MDs from being accessed directly by computer. This was done to comply with Recording Industry concerns over music piracy. (The fact that Sony has introduced the Digital Relay CRX10U-A2 [a portable MP3/audio CD player that is fully USB connectable for seamless audio/data transport to/from PC] is an irony due to the CD's grandfathered status as a computer peripheral that appeared before the Home Recording Rights Act [a law that impedes consumer bit for bit copying of audio content, see SCMS]).

One year after Minidisc appeared, Sony announced MD Data -- it consisted of a slightly modified Minidisc blank and the MDH-10, an MD data drive with SCSI interface. This permitted users to use MDs as a computer data storage format. Unfortunately, due to the requirement for a firewall, MD Data drives cannot read or write ATRAC data on Audio MDs.

Despite the built-in firewall, one company does sell a system for direct computer access to ATRAC audio data. By modifying the firmware in Sony's original MDH-10 data drive, EDL in Britain has been able to create the Minidisc Transfer Editor, a PC package allowing direct computer based transfer of ATRAC from MD to PC, with ATRAC to .wav file conversion done on the PC. The system is intended for audio professionals (radio stations, etc), and carries a price tag (~US$5000) to match."

MORE INFO AT THIS LINK :http://www.minidisc.org/minidisc_faq.html#_q1

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:52 am 

Hi
I fear you will need to record them manually and create track breaks by stopping and starting record. That's how I transferred my minidisc collection to the Cocktail audio. You will of course have to edit the tags which I know takes ages. If it's any consolation if you had kept your old vinyl you would still be in the same position of recording and tagging manually!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:13 am 

With the LPs you could at least recorded them into WAV & then compress them to FLAC for quality/space.
With the minidisc, there is already a compression (lossy), so having to do WAV (& or a chosen compression) again is not really accurate.
The audio quality has already been reduced on the minidisc.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:45 pm 

Thanks everyone. I've had a look at your helpful links.
It seems the only simple way is for an analogue transfer.
I'm thinking of using the headphone jack from the Sharp unit and connecting it to the Cocktail Line(AUX)-in.
I'm guessing this will lose the track listing information, but will it transfer the music itself?
The quality will probably be lower but the records were analogue in the first place so I'm not sure how much I would notice.
What do we think, is it too simple?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:30 am 

doverrog wrote:
Thanks everyone. I've had a look at your helpful links.
It seems the only simple way is for an analogue transfer.
I'm thinking of using the headphone jack from the Sharp unit and connecting it to the Cocktail Line(AUX)-in.
I'm guessing this will lose the track listing information, but will it transfer the music itself?
The quality will probably be lower but the records were analogue in the first place so I'm not sure how much I would notice.
What do we think, is it too simple?

Headphone jack should do as well as is possible.

I have one of the later Sony minidisc players which recorded in WAV as well as ATRAC and could attach to the computer by USB. Sony did relax their DRMs enough so that analogue recordings were easy-ish to dump to PC, then split and label and I used that for some of my vinyl (recorded using the line-out from the HIFI to line-in on the minidisc) but there were still problems for digital recordings which I made using the TOS input. (They didn't want you copying CDs). Most of these could be got around in one way or another with a little perseverance and help from a very active minidisc community.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:13 pm 

Check out this guy on you tube: (Minidisc real-time rec & useful info)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enurmxm_PWs

(Net MD information) - > http://www.minidisc.org/NetMD_faq.html#r_q78
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW-u9z0KwHI

Heard you could even use "Sonicstage" works with minidisc & could transfer files from Minidisc to PC...
Try looking into that, else you will spend too much time on these minidisc :)
There is definitely a way, search the web :idea: :idea: :idea:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:31 pm 

Thanks everyone.
Out of interest do we know if the current model is due to be replaced/updated in the near future?