Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:39 am

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:50 am 

I have had worsening problems recording from vinyl via Aux. I started to have problems a couple of firmware updates back - currently r1692.

I have owned the X10 2Tb for over 2 years. The HD has about 1.2Gb free space with most of the 900Mb used to store files in .wav format. I duplicate imaged another 2Tb back-up HD about 8 albums ago and the problem is the same with both HDs.

Recording works fine as long as I do not have to halt the process (e.g. if I have missed the beginning of a track or if it has not stopped and started recording properly between tracks - my not allowing a long enough break between pressing Rec.) If I try to delete the unwanted track or try to listen to a track from Aux Recordings it locks up with the "Loading" display. The only way to stop this is to switch off at the back and switch on and wait for it to boot up through the multi-coloured, vertical lines (instead of normal, initial white screen.) Sometimes I can complete the action and continue recording, but mostly I have to close down AND switch off again, otherwise it shows Recording but no recording takes place or the display shows only 1 second of recording. I now delete all files from Aux Recording after Transferring DB but, to be honest, I don't think it makes any difference.

I have a lot of vinyl to record. Is there a further firmware update planned that may deal with this problem?

Recently I have had another increasingly common problem which may or may not be related: after making some changes eg ripping a few CDs (stored in .wav format) or editing a playlist, the following morning the HD is active and the X10 will not start. Switching off and back on clears this, HD buzzes briefly (as normal) and all starts normally (white screen and CA graphic.)

Many thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:57 am 

Quote:
Recently I have had another increasingly common problem which may or may not be related: after making some changes eg ripping a few CDs (stored in .wav format) or editing a playlist, the following morning the HD is active and the X10 will not start. Switching off and back on clears this, HD buzzes briefly (as normal) and all starts normally (white screen and CA graphic.)

The above is a bit confusing, what do you mean?

Why did you image the HDD, best to backup & restore if you intend to try that...
I think you should check the files, you last recorded - that is the problem file.
I have done a few AUX recording, i think the crushing could be due to the last file (AUX).
Also sometimes the X10 crushes because it is still processing best to tag-edit & re-convert from ".WAV" to ".FLAC" or other.
AUX recording can be a bit unstable...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:04 pm 

Hi Stane. Thanks for your reply. I copied the HD to a new drive as it seemed the easiest/ most reliable way to do it. It took about 8hrs overnight. I will try the backup and restore next time and see if this is any better.

I do think the Aux Recording problem is a stability issue. I did not have this problem with earlier recordings. The DB files seem fine and everything seems to work OK. I delete the Aux Recording as soon as I am happy with the transfer to the DB but it seems that doing anything with the Aux Recording files other than tag edit and copy to DB causes problems. What can be done to improve this, I wonder?

I have not been able to identify (in the end) any particular problem with any of the Aux recorded files. I have copied perhaps 40 vinyl albums (maybe 500 tracks)over the last two years but hope to do a lot more. The thing that is stopping me is these problems which lead to much frustration. The Aux recording facility was one of the things that made me buy the X10 in the first place although I have learned to appreciate its other features.

I also wonder how long it takes the X10 to process 1 (one) side of a vinyl LP into .wav? This has sometimes been left for more than half an hour and the problem is the same. In any case I have not been aware of ongoing HD activity when I have started to try to edit the files. I do take care not to initiate more than 1(one) action (or click) in 15-20 seconds when the X10 has been inactive or engaged in a specific process for more than a few minutes. It's irritating but I have learned not to do it. Clearly this cannot be done in between tracks when recording but fortunately most of the time it works OK - unless any other editing (e.g. deleting) has been attempted.

I prefer to keep the recordings in native .wav format as space on the HD is not a problem. I had understood that the X10 needs time to convert to other filetypes, in the background, so chose this route early on in ripping my collection - for better or worse.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:41 pm 

Quote:
I do think the Aux Recording problem is a stability issue. I did not have this problem with earlier recordings. The DB files seem fine and everything seems to work OK. I delete the Aux Recording as soon as I am happy with the transfer to the DB but it seems that doing anything with the Aux Recording files other than tag edit and copy to DB causes problems. What can be done to improve this, I wonder?

>> You could convert from WAV to FLAC to save space & load better.
(The files move automatically when converting...)

Quote:
I also wonder how long it takes the X10 to process 1 (one) side of a vinyl LP into .wav?

>>No process is required as the stream is already there at the end of the AUX stream/Recording.
I think the problem arises when the file is tagged & moved!
You need to monitor what causes it to crush.
Is there any action you do or don't do?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:51 pm 

Thanks, stane. When I have had a fault in recording (usually, I have mistimed the break between tracks or been too quick stopping and restarting recording) having pressed Stop, I exit recording (press Aux button on remote), go to Aux Recording via Browser, select the track and menu/delete. At this point all the recorded tracks just have time labels. I do not edit tags until I have finished recording the album and am transferring to database. I have never tried to look at any (time labels) tag these initial aux files might have.

It is at this point where everything goes wrong and unless I exit, close down and do a rear switch off, as soon as I return to resume recording further track "Recording" appears from Aux button but no recording will start.

If I "OK" a track which is showing the basic "time tag" to check the sound or start point, having stopped recording, it will usually hang showing "loading..." and I then have to physically switch off to clear it. Then if I go back to Aux Recording via Browser, I can play the track and all is OK unless I do an edit as above then I have shut down and switch off again, as above.

This all happens virtually every time.

Once everything has been recorded I Tag Edit the Aux Recording files with album, artist etc details and everything transfers without a problem - I just have to rememeber to transfer them to the DB in the correct order and make sure that the Album Titles are exactly the same.

I have just done this from memory because it has happened so many times so I hope the process has been described accurately - but I think it is.

Thanks again for your input.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:45 pm 

Don't think you are doing anything wrong.
Have you tried pressing RECORD & the STOP instead just Record?
I was thinking perhaps the processor might not let go of creating the file???
Pressing just RECORD again would stop the recording but would it anticipate another action to record?
One thing I would suggest is if you want to keep the same artist/album & genre consistent (as you mentioned), then use the "HELP" selection.

This works for me, when i do AUX or any other recordings:
It works in DB & in HDD1 or even via network (as long as it is viewed from the X10) - You could go through a batch or just one track in one go.

1. Either press tag-edit on the remote or use the menu (If doing in batch, press RETURN to opt out, else it will go through the lot)
2. At the Artist/Album & Genre field, just press OK/enter (if using a keyboard) & just select from the list.
3. If your choices are in A-Z, then use the JUMP search on the remote to quickly select.

This way you don't have to remember the casing, spacing or spelling ...works great with compilation when ripping too etc.

Even Admin mentioned it here too:
Point Number 3: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=132

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:48 pm 

Thanks again, stane, I'll give it another go following your advice. And I'll try the Help option. I usually use Ctrl C and Ctrl V from the keyboard. Hoping for some improvement. Many thanks. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:28 am 

Hi Have recently bought X10 and much is great.
I am trying to record vinyl records which gos fine but when I am finished and try to listen to DB it freezes and just shows loading spinning symbol. Have lef if half an hour, and does not resolve, cannot stop so have to result to turning it off and on again.
This is a bug that needs fixing unless you have any other ideas?
Thanks
Colin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:14 pm 

I don't really do Vinyls but i think its the processor.
The trick is you have to play the file for a few seconds just to be sure it's done.
Then convert to flac or other ... & tag & then "import to DB".
Sometimes the processor could hang, booting the device is good too.
Got this via email from av10/cocktail audio uk tagging a recorded file on the screen.

Attachments:
Tag_LP_eg.jpg
Tag_LP_eg.jpg [ 169.53 KiB | Viewed 15222 times ]