Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:26 pm

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:58 pm 

Hi,

I want to record some old vinyl Lps using the cocktail but cannot seem to get the cocktail to record. I think I am doing something wrong when I try to connect the turntable.

I have a separates hi-fi system with turntable, amp & equaliser.

I have the turntable connected through the amp as normal using the phono leads. But am not sure then what I need to do to connect this to the Cocktail. I know I need to use the Aux Line In on the back of the cocktail, but what output ports should I be using from the back of my amp.

I've attached the page from the instruction manual to show the back of the amp.

So far I think I've tried everything possible, although I see the recording screen on the cocktail and it saves a file I'm not getting any sound on playback.

I've looked at everything on this subject within the forum, and played the you tube instruction videos but no luck.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Attachments:
Cocktail 4.jpg
Cocktail 4.jpg [ 439.54 KiB | Viewed 10573 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:26 pm 

I'd be using one pair of the Tape "Rec Out" sockets

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:47 pm 

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply, I have temporarily given up on trying to connect the turntable, but I will have another go using your suggestion. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:22 am 

You might consider an alternative approach - record from the TT using Audacity software (you may need additional hardware: phono preamp and possibly an external USB soundcard if you don't have a proper line-in on your PC).

This enables you to clean up the recording (I also use ClickRepair to remove clicks/pops) before exporting WAV files or FLAC files to import into the X30 with Browser.

I can provide you with a lot more information on this if required.

Peter.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:32 pm 

Peter Sampson wrote:
You might consider an alternative approach - record from the TT using Audacity software (you may need additional hardware: phono preamp and possibly an external USB soundcard if you don't have a proper line-in on your PC).

This enables you to clean up the recording (I also use ClickRepair to remove clicks/pops) before exporting WAV files or FLAC files to import into the X30 with Browser.

I can provide you with a lot more information on this if required.

Peter.

This is pretty much how I do it - but the REC OUT line from your current amp should be fine for this (no more hardware required provided your PC has a soundcard). The additional advantage is that it is pretty simple to break the recording into individual tracks - not sure that the X10 does this.

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:20 pm 

mullers63 wrote:
... but the REC OUT line from your current amp should be fine for this (no more hardware required provided your PC has a soundcard).

Oops silly me - I forgot I'd seen the piccie of farge's kit earlier in the thread :oops:

So yes, no phono-preamp required - BUT if the computer only has a Mic input and not a proper line-level input then a USB soundcard would be required - as the REC Out will have a signal that will massively overload a Mic input.

Peter