Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:34 am

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Post subject: Umph!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:48 pm 

Was wondering if anyone had connected their X10 to external hifi amp speakers ect.
Am running mine as bought with some Sony Speakers from an old mini disc cd tuner combo thingy.(CMT-PX333)
The Sony speakers are much more exciting than the Cambridge Audio ones i was advised to buy for £99. They seem a bit dull ( have tried various pop, jazz etc settings) and not good.
Got to admit the x10 is great for the old party or two, set your play list and get down to some rock for a couple of hours. Drawback seems to be that the volume is very high to get any Umph out of the unit
Has anyone brought an amp and speakers to enhance the x10 to play through, if so what is good????

Post subject: Re: Umph!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:45 pm 

Yep see there is some info on "sound enhancement" on the Accessories info bit.
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:57 pm 

The x10 amp is a bit limited(in my humble opinon) I run mine through a NAD amp to Bose Acoustimass speakers which sound pretty good. I did try running the Bose from the x10 but the sound was "thin".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:33 pm 

Yo Fabfreeq did you buy the nad amp and those bose acoustimass specially for the umph job, or were these leftovers from a previous set up?
What price are we talking?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:49 pm 

The Nad and the Bose speakers were indeed left over from when I had a cd player, on moving to a smaller house I needed the space taken up by the cds so the X10 was ideal. I did run the speakers for a short while (about 20 minutes!) from the X10 but it was wimpish!! The Nad (2020 e)is about 20 years old but still going strong, still available on ebay. The speakers are about 5 years old and will set you back about £250.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:22 pm 

Yep its a bit of a problem in that the x10 is so compact and ideal for a small abode. Even the girlie thinks its great for the front room.
Being the alpha male in the house (ho ho ho ho) i think the x10 needs more wellie which means buying an amp, speakers etc which adds to space needed, when space was tight in the first place.
The x10 it is a wicked bit of kit, but just needs a bit more pampering on the volume front. I think it would be well worth the investment in amps etc.
Fabfreeq gonna do a bit of hunting on ebay etc for amps speakers. Are Nad amps big?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:17 am 

Sorry my amp is a Nad 3020e (don't think there is a 2020e!) it's about sky box size( still smaller than hundreds od cds) there are a few on ebay ranging from £12--£65. There are plenty of other amps that would do the trick Denon, Marantz, Cambridge etc worth looking around.
Good Hunting

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:19 am 

If you are in a budget a Cambridge Audio A1 amp is fine with a range of speakers, I used B & W DM 600s. Both currently available on Ebay at give away prices.

Definitely worth putting the Cocktail Audio through HiFi amp and speakers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:14 pm 

Using a bit of a stop gap at the moment while i look for amp/speakers etc.
Managed to borrow a pair of Studio Beats by Doc.Dre. As i do all my ripping on wav the quality of playback is very good. The sound can be umphed up with no distortion.
Contented chap at the minute.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:16 pm 

Toon wrote:
Using a bit of a stop gap at the moment while i look for amp/speakers etc.
Managed to borrow a pair of Studio Beats by Doc.Dre. As i do all my ripping on wav the quality of playback is very good. The sound can be umphed up with no distortion.
Contented chap at the minute.

Why waste space by ripping in WAV....
Flac is better, easy to upload & light to transfer to to streamers & mobile devices.
Flac also supports tag/id3 standards.....i know you could now stick a 3TB HDD with the firmware "1692" but WAV is till a waste of space.