Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:29 pm

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Post subject: 3TB or 4TB for the X30
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:37 pm 

Hi guys.

I have an X30 and an X10, both with 2TB 3.5" HDDs (holding exactly the same DB for convenience of upstairs/downstairs - I know, I could stream....) - anyhow, the X30 has about 100Gb left, so I'm going to need more room, eventually. I think I'll 'house keep' the X10 and remove the scillions of duplicates (compilations and previous masters of current stuff) and keep it trim ;)

Looking at getting a 3TB HDD, or maybe a 4TB, but sure the 3TB will be sufficient.

Any recommendations?

Also, do I need to do anything special to format a 3TB directly in the machine (current in Linux)? I don't want to create a 2TB HDD and a load of wasted space.

Suppose I'll also have to put life on hold whilst I back up the current DB to the new HDD too? I was going to put the current HDD into a caddy and restore via USB. I already have a 2TB external HDD, but its not 'up to date' cos it takes about a week!!!! :roll:

Any helps or tips are appreciated. I'm no novice, but I'm concerned I may miss an obvious pitfall.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:53 pm 

Maybe this, tho its a 5400 speed and not a 7200: efficient, cool & quiet maybe more important factors?

Western Digital 3TB Green 5400rpm 64mb 3.5" Hard Drive - WD30EZRX

Some hate WD I know, but has a 2 year warranty - and my DB is (nearly) always back-up, having two CA machines.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:32 am 

5400rpm is better & WD - used to dislike their HDD 5 years ago, now i like their drives.
With SSDs Samsung is stable.
On the current cocktails backups are weird however X30 is better than X40.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:19 pm 

stane wrote:
5400rpm is better & WD - used to dislike their HDD 5 years ago, now i like their drives.
With SSDs Samsung is stable.
On the current cocktails backups are weird however X30 is better than X40.

Cheers Stane

I think I'll back up the X30 for now to the 2TB external & buy the WD Greed 3TB drive and try & a restore when its done. Then good to go with about 1200Gb to spare :-) I should never need more than 3TB I don't think.

The HDD in my X30 is virtually silent, but the one in X10 is relatively 'noisy'. Completely different casing tho helps.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:29 pm 

For info:

I was going away for the weekend, so set the X30 to back up to an external 2Tb drive at 12:30am Friday morning (or late Thursday night if you like). Went away Friday afternoon, the X30 was ticking over as last time I did a back up - so expected approx. 6 days to finish - so about midnight next Wednesday.

Came home at 12:00 pm this afternoon and it was backed up, successfully! So 2.5 days max, possibly sooner!

Bought the 'green' WD 3Tb drive as above, arrived today too. Took the 'old' 2Tb HDD out form the X30 - guess what, it was the exact same model, just 2 Tb, so happy with my choice as I'd no problem with the old one.

Put the drive in, did a format (in Linux) and set it to restore from the external back up. Let's see how long it takes (from 4pm today)? :-)

PS

24 hours later, its backed up the playlists, favourites etc - and 25,000 tracks (mainly wav and flac) - so I estimate it'll have finished by 8pm tomorrow night (~52 hours to restore 54,500 tracks). Happy enough with that. So in all - it appears the last firmware may well have included something to speed this up (on the X30 anyway). 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:16 pm 

Backed up in 48 hours and a few minutes. Tho in hindsight, I don't think its a firmware improvement. Teck1a mentioned last year about the database structure, once being the same on the internal and external drives, it will result in an incremental back up.