Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:30 pm

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Post subject: Disable fan?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:12 pm 

I'm going to fit an SSD in my x10 and was wondering if it would be OK to disable the fan as that will then be the only source of noise?

Post subject: Re: Disable fan?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:14 pm 

To be honest, the FAN is not even noisy...especially when there is music playing.
An SSD is just statically stored (data), one still has to keep any electronic components cooled - unless you can insert a heatsync?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:19 am 

If you do find the fan noise obtrusive, then you could try replacing the fan mounting screws with anti vibration rubber mounting pins. Perhaps a bit of case damping on the X10 or even replacing the fan with a higher quality and more silent type.
If these suggestions are not something that you would be comfortable doing. The Cocktail Audio X12 may be the answer as it is passively cooled, so does not have a fan.
Whatever you do, do not just disconnect the fan in the X10.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:35 pm 

I run my X10 with a 2tb Samsung 850 EVO drive & don't use the internal amplifier or CD drive. For me, the fan noise was noticable when listening to classical music in a silent room. Despite cleaning the fan & installing a selection of resistors to reduce its speed, I resorted to removing it. The X10 runs without any problems, never becoming more than lukewarm, including during sustained backup operations. Some heat emanates from the display; I have mine set to 50% brightness when it's not switched off.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:54 pm 

The cooling fan on my X10 no longer works. Is there a replacement a available? If so where can I purchase it from?