Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:30 am

All times are UTC


Untitled Document

Forum rules


Please don't create a topic for JUST any question, look for an akin post/forum.
For example 'PHP scripts' or webinterface issues will be best posted under 'Web-Interface related Forum'.
Any duplicate posts will be deleted without a reply.
This will make it easier for other users to find the solutions to their queries.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Source code availability
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:31 pm
Posts: 24
I have been looking through the character strings contained in the latest firmware release
and see that it contains a lot of code licensed under the Gnu Public License, e.g., busybox,
Samba and Linux.

One of the requirements of this license is that users (e.g., Cocktail audio) who distribute it tell
their customers where to obtain a copy of this source; including any modifications to it.

I have not been able to find any reference to where this source can be downloaded. Can you
please make this information available.

Why supply the source (apart from legal licensing reasons)?

I (and imagine 99.9% of your customers) have no particular interest in the source. However, on some hardware platforms dedicated users add new features or change existing features (e.g., the various custom rom updates for mobile phones). In the past I have found some of the software created by these dedicated users to be very useful on some of the devices I have. It would be great if this kind of development community sprang up for the X10.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:02 am
Posts: 167
That's a very interesting point. I wouldn't claim to be a fanatical "open source" user, but it would seem best to honour the GNU public licence properly. And, as you say, sometimes users are then able to make significant improvements. In fact the use of these open source tools is one thing that drew me to the X10.

For interest, this paragraph appears near the bottom of the Webinterface User Guide:
Quote:
This Web interface is made in PHP with SQLite and is fully open to each user.
You can find it on your device in the folder /mnt/hdd1/.http/htdocs and above directories.
You are invited to change/add/modify our web interface.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:32 am
Posts: 312
derek-farn wrote:
I have been looking through the character strings contained in the latest firmware release
and see that it contains a lot of code licensed under the Gnu Public License, e.g., busybox,
Samba and Linux.
One of the requirements of this license is that users (e.g., Cocktail audio) who distribute it tell
their customers where to obtain a copy of this source; including any modifications to it.
I have not been able to find any reference to where this source can be downloaded. Can you
please make this information available.
Why supply the source (apart from legal licensing reasons)?
I (and imagine 99.9% of your customers) have no particular interest in the source. However, on some hardware platforms dedicated users add new features or change existing features (e.g., the various custom rom updates for mobile phones). In the past I have found some of the software created by these dedicated users to be very useful on some of the devices I have. It would be great if this kind of development community sprang up for the X10.


Free software is 21st Century.
The whole notion of open source/object orientation is to pick stuff (classes/modules) modify & reference.
I think its noble (for Citation) of them to add stuff, write their own & blend.
Good point, if you have any ideas/codes share..... :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:54 pm
Posts: 25
Absolutely!

So all we now need is Cocktail to post the location of the source?

This would be great. Given some of the issues discussed on AVForums with DB recovery, it would be good to be able to try and fix these -- it's very hard for Cocktail to fix problems they probably can't reproduce...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:32 am
Posts: 312
gpa wrote:
Absolutely!
So all we now need is Cocktail to post the location of the source?
This would be great. Given some of the issues discussed on AVForums with DB recovery, it would be good to be able to try and fix these -- it's very hard for Cocktail to fix problems they probably can't reproduce...


AVforum???, its just a bloglike-forum apart from audio sanctum (no one knows anything about the X10), plus the source code is already cited by Novatron/developers.
This is a useless topic & i hope the Admin deletes it.
The DB recovery has nothing to do with the php source code.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:54 pm
Posts: 25
We're not talking about the php code -- that's obviously available.

We're talking about the main X10 source code....

There are serious problems being reported with the X10, Cocktail will struggle to sort these unless they send out code with diagnostics, or allow the open source community to help. It's not easy to resolve problems you can't reproduce.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:41 am
Posts: 117
gpa wrote:
We're not talking about the php code -- that's obviously available.

We're talking about the main X10 source code....

There are serious problems being reported with the X10, Cocktail will struggle to sort these unless they send out code with diagnostics, or allow the open source community to help.


What serious problems :) (i think they are user based)?
The main issue with this post was about the php & free software foundation (check the 1st post/topic), nothing about X10's source code for the device.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:54 pm
Posts: 25
A lot of probs with the DB recover function for instance, causing lock ups etc. These aren't user generated.

There do appear to be elements in the main firmware that are GNU licensed.

However - the real point is that there are some issues that unlikely to be resolved as Cocktail probably can't reproduce them. This is always a problem with software development.. So an ability to create diagnostic file to allow Cocktail to see what causes the problems experienced by users would be a good idea.

The X10 is a good, innovative product but it's not quite a "consumer" product yet, a few too many rough edges. We'd all like to see it continue to improve - and help along the way - I'm sure.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:00 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:45 am
Posts: 901
gpa wrote:
A lot of probs with the DB recover function for instance, causing lock ups etc. These aren't user generated

There do appear to be elements in the main firmware that are GNU licensed.

However - the real point is that there are some issues that unlikely to be resolved as Cocktail probably can't reproduce them. This is always a problem with software development.. So an ability to create diagnostic file to allow Cocktail to see what causes the problems experienced by users would be a good idea.

The X10 is a good, innovative product but it's not quite a "consumer" product yet, a few too many rough edges. We'd all like to see it continue to improve - and help along the way - I'm sure.


:) Recovery removes errors, that are likely to cause problems.
Its akin to windows error scan it’s a general analytical formulae code.
Just like windows it will move possible error related files for checking.

In relation to the new FW, it creates the cover art folder for the album art to show.
That is why when you 1st update 70% chance of not getting all the art showing – but its optional.
(You can add them via any tool or web-interface or one command via menu now (to the whole album in one go))
However many users just rip/rip/rip & never check their data properly, thus the unit removes these errors into the recovery folder & deleted cluttered data on the HDD.
The files can be moved back, if you feel the album data is accurate enough.

I did a scan on 900cds & not even one album was found as bad - its user generated.
As for the unit source code, its not part of this topic - i think the guy meant the web-interface. :idea: :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:54 pm
Posts: 25
Quote:
As for the unit source code, its not part of this topic - i think the guy meant the web-interface.


Fair enough - I assumed otherwise as the web code is plainly visible! Not really important though...

Quote:
However many users just rip/rip/rip & never check their data properly, thus the unit removes these errors into the recovery folder & deleted cluttered data on the HDD.


What method should users be checking our data by - would be a helpful tip? Mine all plays ok, and where I've added album art it all shows... There was no db recovery when I ripped all my CDs for instance...

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron