Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:46 am

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Forum rules

Please don't create a topic for JUST any question, look for an akin post/forum.
For example 'PHP scripts' or webinterface issues will be best posted under 'Web-Interface related Forum'.
Any duplicate posts will be deleted without a reply.
This will make it easier for other users to find the solutions to their queries.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:33 am 

I just re-loaded several hundred albums to my X10 music DB after reformatting the disk. I got the message '2 song already exist' (not sure exact wording - pressed OK to see what the errors were and the message disappeared).

How do I find out what songs were not added? I connected the X10 to my computer but I can't see an error log. I examined the Music DB using MP3tag from my computer and can't see anything obviously missing. I have lots and lots of duplicate songs, for example Cowboy Junkies recently reissued some albums with same songs in same order just remixed (I used different folder names, and songs have differnt album title tags) - all these were added OK.

I can't start again and add one album at a time (over 800 albums). Any clues what to look for?

Thanks
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:46 pm 

Did it display the album name?
It could also just be dumbed data from the musicDB.
For 2 songs ...i wouldn't worry about it :)

You can use the recovery scan on the imported music.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:09 pm 

No, didn't display album name
How would I find out if it's "dumbed" data? I guess you're saying that there's no error log...
(If they were your albums, I wouldn't worry about losing 2 songs either :lol: )

I'll try the recovery scan and see what happens, thanks for that.

Richard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:17 pm 

OK, I ran Recovery and Recovery Result says "Music DB is OK. Nothing changed." So 2 songs didn't get loaded and I can't see how to find out which they were, unless I print a complete list of albums and tracks and compare them line-by-line against my source data (800+ albums).

So let me ask again - what causes the 'song exists' error message? Does anyone know what combination of data fields is used as the key for this check?

Richard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Could be junk from the DB :)
Why don't you just compare (imported vs external drive) the total tracks - simple :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:20 am 

OK - X10 has 11,139 tracks, external device has 11,141 tracks. Any suggestion how I can find out which 2 tracks are missing?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

im sure you can figure this out :)
Why not check the last 5-10 albums, you will know the album with 2 fewer songs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:43 pm 

OK, I've checked the last 10 albums and the number of MP3s in the X10 matches the external drive on each one. Numbers in each album are 9, 12, 11, 7, 14, 100, 194, 139, 175, 75. When you say "I'm sure you can figure this out" do you mean there is a trick to figuring this out that you already know but that I am missing?

So is there anyone out there that knows what causes the 'song exists' error to come up?

I know it's not identical file names (multiple occurrences of that, not just 2 mysterious 'song exists' reported by X10). So is the X10 finding some duplication of artist+song+tracknumber+genre, or is this posisbly a random error caused by bad code? If I knew the answer to this, I would know what to look for on the source disk. If no-one is able to help, I'll have to check each of 833 albums one by one (I've already checked the last 10).

Anyone able to help?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:00 pm 

If you can connect the X10 and the backup drive to your PC via USB, then you can use a file comparison programme to check for any differences.
I'm sure that there are lots of them out there, I have just tried this one: ViceVersa Pro (Windows only) 30 day full version trial, no registration required.
http://www.tgrmn.com/?from=vvpro25
It's pretty easy to use, just select the two main folders that you want to compare and use the filters (+ newer files/folders) (- older files/folders) and the green tick (matched files/folders) to remove everything that matches and you should be left with the files/folders that have a red dot next to them. These are the differences between the two locations.
There could be a few different files between the two locations (I've no idea what extra files cocktail audio are now adding to the database or backup destination) but as it's only the music files that you are after they should be very easy to find.
If the missing tracks don't show up, I'm guessing that there may be some kind of error in the DB.
One word of warning though. Just use the programme to locate the missing music files, so that you can work out why they have not been transferred to the X10. Do not use it to backup or delete anything.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:10 am 

I don't think there's an error in the DB because I ran recovery and it reported no errors.

Thanks for the idea of folder comparison, but I can't see how that will work because X10 renames all files, for example my copy of Pink Floyd's
02 Pow R. Toc H..mp3
is loaded by X10 as
[000636] Pow R. Toc H..mp3

X10 seems to create the file name from the track title tag, and adds a prefix which is its own internal file number. So a file compare will flag every file as different. X10 also transforms full stops (and exclamation marks and other 'invalid' characters) to special characters, but I have a trivial number (about 100) of those. A program to count the number of files in each folder would not work either because X10 adds extra files.

Again may I ask, is there anyone out there that knows what causes the 'song exists' error to come up?