Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:07 pm

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Post subject: Re: X10 see?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:01 pm 

I have now had 2 Brennan JB7s for 18 months and one Cocktail Audio X10 for the last 3 months. I use them all, like them all, and cannot really join in the chorus of punters who vociferously prefer the X10 over the Brennan. Yes, the price is definitely more favourable towards the X10, that is certainly true, but otherwise - for music afficionados who just want to listen to their loaded record collection in good quality, both appliances are equal in sound quality and ease of handling.
Both have considerable drawbacks, my JB7s sometimes jump tracks, and albums need to be re-recorded to rectify this. The X10 has these awful 10 millisec birsts of white noise prefacing some songs (dear "Admin William Shakespeare" can you please help?).
Anybody else compared the X10 and JB7 side by side like me?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:55 pm 

Hi
Yes i have both the JB7 and X10 too.
Like you say, it is unfair to compair them as 'like for like' because they are both entirely different machines aimed at entirely opposite ends of the market.
My X10 i use as my main hi-fi due to its excellent streaming capabilities and its varied format playability... Great machine!
My JB7 in comparison is very basic. Its basically a large iPod with a built in amp and only able to play WAV and mp3. But non the less it plays them very well indeed and like you, i agree in that the sound is also excellent from the Brennan.
The advantage with the Brennan is its simplicity to use and starts up in less than 3 seconds!
Because of this, i use it as a second machine in the bedroom.
Also the Brennan is built like a battleship (no plastic)!
And contrary to the comparison table above, the software/firmware IS upgradable and i've done a few.
Anyhow, in a nutshell i love em both and wouldn't sell either of them 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:02 am 

Agree with the comment about the Brennan and X10 aiming for different ends of the market.

We're really pleased with our X10, and as tech-minded people it suits us very well.

But (and, sadly this is not a joke) I had a dream about trying to get my mother-in-law to set up an X10, having to explain the terms as I went along and I woke up in a cold sweat!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:47 pm 

i'm busting to get and x10 but have a couple of worries. i'm technically a novice and everything i read seems to lean towards you having to be some sort of technical wizard, tell me that's not right? secondly i have read somewhere that you can't play a complete album from start to finish, it implied that you only get a list of all the songs by a particular artist and you must create playlists if you want to pick tracks. right or wrong!

colin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:20 am 

If only I could buy one in the USA!

JFL PP 2A3 Amp, Marantz 7T Preamp, 1993 Klipschorns, Asus netbook running itunes & LMS, Squeezebox Touch, MSB link DACIII, MSB digital director, Audioquest Diamondback ICs, Synergistic Research Alpha Quad Active Shield Speaker Cable